Tuesday, October 19, 2010

and his name was Catul...

Funniness.... its been a while. :D I have more than a Megilla to write, so I'll try not to go too much into detail.

Deep quote that states the obvious but is generally overlooked- "A relationship is only as strong as the one that loves the least." Rav Noach Weinberg

And just an cute quote I found from I don't know where- "G-d doesn't give you the people you want- He gives you the people you need. To help you, to hurt you, to love you, to leave you, and to make you into the person you were meant to be."


Okay, starting from 2 weeks ago-

On Sunday we had an aerobics class.... which I conveniently missed on account of doing my laundry (which, for your information, I do by hand since its so expensive here). But afterwards I went down and learned some cool gymnastics from a girl who is really awesome.

On Monday we went to Ir Dovid, the location of Dovid Hamelech's palace, to go caving. We hiked through waist deep water (which is more than likely not waist deep on anyone else besides me) in an underground tunnel in the stone. We sang the whole time and that helped the girls who were really clausterphobic. In some places the ceiling was so short, I even had to crouch. the entire length of the cave was a 40 minute walk and the width was barely a small man's width throughout. One way or another it was a lot of fun.

Tuesday me and my roommate went in search of a horse farm she had heard was nearby. Much to our delight we found it and spent some time petting them. There were also all the other basic farm animals there. And even some not so basic ones.... like the donkey. Eehaw!!

Oh- did I mention that I have begun learning French. I am learning Hebrew as well, but that is a given. We have girls here from Montreal and from France. They are having a lot of fun teaching me their language and I have figured out that as long as I am actually using it, all the skill I need is memorization.

On Wednesday my roommate, one other girl, and I all went back to the horse farm. While we were there we met the owner of the farm. He is an old man with a small family that built the entire farm and his house with his own hands when he came to Israel. While we sat and talked to him we had the chance to get acquanted with his kittens. One of the girls I was with jokingly said "Can I keep him?" and much to our surprise the old man said Yes! He even told us how to take care of it. We discussed it among ourselves, and of course reason was tossed to the wind as unsatisfyed childhood dreams resurfaced from decomposed graves. We had always wanted pets.... and it was housebroken.... I don't think its even necessary to say that we took it home.


We figured our biggest challenge was going to be getting the kitten up the 4 floors and into the room without anyone noticing anything amiss. (We didn't factor in the fact that I am allergic to cats and that we aren't allowed to have pets.) Once there, we could keep the door shut and nobody would know. We named it Catul... derived from the hebrew word for cat- Chatul... and made him a bed and litter box and gave it dinner. It was a top priority secret so by that night, naturally, everyone knew about it. Well, not everyone. Not the girls who we knew were even the slightest bit afraid of them. Although we did have a few close calls... Like when we put a 'forbidden to enter without knocking' sign on the door and everyone was convinced we were hiding something. Luckily, at the time that they pushed there way through the door looking for the boy, Catul was sleeping in my lap and I was reading a book over his head... making him invisable. lol But all night, the sympathizers and animal lovers were hanging out in our room.


At about 11:30 at night, nearly an hour after curfew, the Am Bayit... who has been suspicious about our room since day one (on account of the many secret missions we carry out from within our silent 4 walls) :} came to visit our room. I basically shut the door on her face and then went out to talk to her..... the conversation went something like this:
"Hi!"
"What is going on in that room??"
"Nothing.... absolutely nothing... why would you think s/t was going on?"
"Haha, very funny, what is happening in that room??"
"Okay okay, we sort of got a rabbit."
"A... rabbit.... like a live rabbit?"
"um..."
"Wait, you seriously have a live rabbit in your room??!!"
"um... well... its a little bigger than a rabbit"
"... a little bigger than a rabbit. What does that mean?"
"well, its not exactly a rabbit..."
"I'm not getting it."
"Okay, we sort of have a kitten."
"Your joking."
"emhem... no i'm not."
"You brought a live cat into the dorm?? into your room??"
"um, yes."
"Let me see it."
"Be my guest."
So the end of the story is that she sympathized, because she likes cats.... but she made us get rid of him anyways. Right away. So I got to break curfew to walk the cat back to the farm, he never made it though, because my friends cousin wanted him and came to pick him up.

And so ends the saga of Catul, a dream fulfilled and then taken away before I really got a chance to appreciate it. lol.... :) it was still fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment