Sunday, October 24, 2010

Shabbos in Sefat!

Erev Shabbos we woke up at 7:00 am to leave for our Shabbaton in Sefat. After a 3 hour bus ride, without breakfast, we went to the Kevar of the Arizal. It was a blisteringly hot day, and as much as we might have been looking forward to davening by his kever, nobody was in the mood anymore seeing as we were hungry, tired, and sweaty. A lot of the girls didn't make it up all the stairs, choosing to return to the bus until the group came back.
Then we went on to the house we would be staying at. To say 'House' would be a massive understatement. It was no house. It was a stunning mansion filled with beautiful mirrors, chandeliers, and mehogony funriture. The rooms had tons identically made beds like a hotel... but the cool thing was that the beds were all high risers so that the place could be reconverted into a regular house at any time. My room had 5 beds out but it would regularly have had a bunk bed and a single bed.
We all quickly called showers and started to prepare for shabbos. Of course I was running around like crazy trying to figure out which of my choir girls would still be joining us in presenting that night. It ended up being myself and 2 other girls and we made fast improvisations to the songs.
Friday night we went to the shul of my roommates father. Rav Weingatt's shul, Mekarev. I have to say it was the most beautiful davening I had ever heard. It was hard to see but I heard that the men were also dancing the whole time. The atmosphere itself was very uplifting.
Afterward we enjoyed a beautiful catered shabbos meal at the mansion. We heard speeches, the choir presented, we sand zemirot and then we had a panel discussion followed by Oneg (more food). Me and a friend went for a long walk through the old city of sefat and tried to count the steps from the top to bottom. We got to 202, which was about half way, before we had to run and lost count. We got back just in time for curfew and stolen cholent. :D
Shabbos day we again ate at the mansion and then had a game followed by a tour of the old city which i missed due to exhaustion. I didn't regret it too much though since I had litteraly scaled the place the night before and I plan to go back with my roomate some time in the year.
Havdala was done by a NaNach (a guy who followes Ooman [Rabbi Nachman]) who told us a whole story with a guitar and acting and everything first. Then he sang the most beautiful Havdala I've ever heard.
After Shabbos we all packed up and boarded the buses once again... this time homeward.

No comments:

Post a Comment