Wednesday, March 2, 2011

L'Zicaron

Week of Feb 20th- 26th
Mindy's parents were in for the week so she moved into the apartment they were renting with them. Monday they came with us to Yad V'Shem, the Jerusalem Holocaust Memorial Museum. Our guide was none other than Hanoch Teller. When I was going around on my own afterward, it trully hit me how lucky we were to have that privilage. A guide I had stopped to listen to was giving a detailed analogy of all the art in the museum, who designed it, and their lives.Its scary to think that the guide really shapes your way of thinking about the entire meseum- and the holocaust itself. Whereas we heard facts and true stories (survivor accounts) of what happened during the holocaust- coupled with all the pictures and evidence being presented in the glass cases and exhibits of the museum.
For most people, not surprisingly, I think the most moving part was the children's memorial- even though it presented no facts or stories, had no pictures and no evidence. It was a stone buiding. Inside is dark with a walk way suspended half way through a huge empty room aside from the whole middle being a giant glass case. Inside it and on the walls were thousands of candles seemingly suspended in mid air. One candle per child that was documented murdered in the holocaust. Resonating through this stone building was a deep male voice slowly speaking out the name age and country of every child- one by one. Going across the catwalk took less than 3 minutes but just about everyone who came out of there had tears in their eyes.
Tuesday I crashed Mindy's apartment for the night just to get out of the dorm, and Wednesday night her parents took her, me and my roommate out for dinner at Rimon. It was a beautiful evening and I had a great time.
This past Shabbos I was in Maalei Amos with Leora Gershaw and family. Of course I had a beautiful, relaxing shabbos together with them and look forward to going again.

No comments:

Post a Comment